UPCOMING DATES

June 2012 - Congress Registration

March 18, 2013 - Abstract Submission

May 30, 2013 - Opening Ceremony

June 1, 2013 - Closing Ceremony

HOME

Welcome

Sponsors

Links

Contact

CONGRESS

Venue

Abstracts

Registration

Organization

Topics

Scientific Program

INFORMATION

About Timisoara

Accommodation

Passport and Visa

General Information

Social Program

VENUE

UMF Timisoara, Romania Piaţa Eftimie Murgu Nr. 2

Web: www.umft.ro

info@ishnetim.ro

secretariat@ishnetim.ro

HOME WELCOME CONGRESS INFORMATION SPONSORS LINKS CONTACT
30 May - 1st June 2013, Timisoara - Romania

Copyright © 2012 ImageRight & Eng. Mariana Moga, PhD, Head of IT Department, Emergency County Hospital Timisoara

ISHNE 2013 Share on Facebook Share on Twitter ABOUT TIMISOARA
MORE INFO

VICTORY SQUARE (Piata Victoriei)

Some of the city's most interesting sites are its elegant baroque buildings, spread around town and particularly along the main square, Piata Victoriei, which stretches from Opera Square (Piata Operei) to Loga Boulevard.

The focal point is the towering Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedrala Ortodoxa Mitropolitana) at the south side of the square. Built between 1936 and 1946, its green and red roof tiles are arranged in a mosaic design. In front of the Cathedral is a memorial to those who lost their lives during the 1989 Revolution which overthrew Communist rule. The Memorial Museum of the 1989 Revolution (Muzeul Revolutiei) offers a full insight into the revolution in Timisoara.

Union Square (Piata Unirii) across the town centre is the picturesque Habsburg-era Piata Unirii, so-named for the imposing sight of the Romano-Catholic and Serbian Orthodox Cathedrals facing each other. Historic pastel-hued buildings line the square. During the 18th century, this was the city's commercial centre and the venue for numerous military processions and religious ceremonies.

Nicolas Lenau College (Liceul Nicolas Lenau), located on the north side of the square, was built in 1761 and was home to the earliest theatre in Timisoara.

The baroque Serbian Orthodox Cathedral (Biserica Ortodoxa Sarba), built in 1745-48, and the mint green and white Serbian Bishop's Residence (Vicariatul Ortodox Sarb) with its extravagant decorations are located on the west side of the square. The Cathedral can be visited daily between 7am and 6pm.

The Roman Catholic Cathedral (Catedrala Episcopala Romano-Catolica) on the east side of the square was built between 1736 and 1754 to the design of Fisher von Erlach and represents a fine example of Viennese baroque style. The main altar painting was completed by Michael Angelo Unterberger, director of the Fine Arts Academy in Vienna.

At the northwest corner of Union Square stands the spectacular Scont Bank (Banca de Scont). This typical Hungarian-style art nouveau structure, built in the early 20th century, features an organic shape comprising curved walls studded with turquoise tiles forming patterns drawn from folklore, and extravagant iron gutters and window grills.

The impressive 18th century Baroque Palace (Palatul Vechii Prefecturi) dominates the square's south side. Formerly the governor's residence, it now houses the Museum of Fine Arts with works by German, Flemish and Italian artists.  

From Union Square, walk east along Palanca street to the oldest building in Timisoara, now housing the Banat Etnographic Museum within the city's remaining 18th century bastion.

FREEDOM SQUARE (Piata Libertatii) to VICTORY SQUARE (Piata Victoriei)

Another remarkable open space in the city is Piata Libertatii which offers a great display of Secessionist architecture. The Banat region was under Turkish rule from 1552 until 1716 when the Austrian-Habsburg Prince Eugene de Savoy took over Timisoara. At this time, a seven-star- shaped bastion and gate-towers were constructed and the marshes surrounding the town were drained by the new Habsburg governor, General Mercy.

Continue along Lucian Blaga street to the 14th century Huniade Castle (Castelul Huniade). Built during the rule of Carol Robert, Prince de Anjou, it was completed by Iancu of Hundeoara and redesigned by the Habsburgs in the 18th century.

RESIDENTIAL AREAS

South and east of the Bega Canal are the Josefin, Elisabetin and Fabric residential districts, true gems of Jugendstil, or art nouveau, architecture, built mainly in the late 19th century. The small residential square of Piata Plevnei, south of the Bega Canal, is bordered by excellent examples of the first phase of Secessionist architecture, such as Gemeinhardt's Peacock House (Casa cu Pauni) built in 1905. Facades are covered with an abundance of typical motifs: peacocks, swans, owls and squirrels together with sinuous vines and foliage. The theme continues on the buildings lining Splaiul Tudor Vladimirescu, following the south bank of the Bega, and to a lesser extent, around nearby Piata Maria and Bulevardul 16 Decembrie 1989.

JEWISH TIMISOARA

Even though Jewish presence in the Banat region dates back to the 2nd century AD, the first written mention of the Jewish community in Timisoara occurred in 1716, when the Turkish army commander surrendered the town to the Austrian Prince Eugeniu of Savoia.

In the old Sephardic cemetery, graves dating to the Turkish occupation may be seen, the oldest belonging to Azriel Assael, a Rabbi and surgeon who died in 1636. A century latter, Rabbi Meir Amigo and four followers from Istanbul were allowed to settle in the city. Following the implementation of citizen rights acts in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Timisoara's Jewish community flourished, reaching a population of almost 7,000. Six synagogues were built in the city after 1867, the year of the Austro-Hungarian reconciliation. Today, three remain with one still active.

The New Synagogue in Fabric (Sinagoga din Fabric)

One of the most beautiful buildings in Timisoara, the synagogue in the Fabric district was built in 1899 by Hungarian architect Lipot Baumhorn in a traditional Moorish style. It is currently closed for structural repairs.

Great Synagogue (Sinagoga Cetate)

This Neolog-rite synagogue, built in Oriental style in 1865, resembles the great synagogue in Oran, Algeria. One of the largest synagogues in Europe, it is currently closed for structural repairs.

Orthodox Synagogue

Built between 1906 and 1910, this Orthodox Synagogue is the only one in service at this moment.

More info about Timisoara

www.timisoara.com